In the recent period, a wide range of remarkable structures and skyscrapers are being designed and built across the world. The Structural Engineering aims to connect the demands of geometry, materials, and forces for various types of civil engineering structures. The aim of the Post Graduate Program in Structural Engineering is to develop competent structural engineers who are industry ready to work in the profession and are able to design the low and high rise residential and commercial buildings in steel and reinforced concrete, bridges, water tanks, industrial structures such as transfer towers, chimneys, silos, and marine structures etc. The program also gives the insight into investigation, assessment and strengthening of the damaged structures. The program also refines the research skills of the students to provide a competitive edge while embarking their career.
Career Opportunities in the Program
Structural engineering is the specialized branch of civil engineering that deals with the structural design, structural stability, reliability of the construction, withstanding seismic forces and other forces etc. The major employers of structural engineers include:
- Start own structural design consultancy firm
- Engineering consultancies firm/ Design offices
- Local authorities
- Oil companies
- Railway operators
- Public utility companies
- The Civil Service
- The Armed Forces
- State and Central Government Establishments
- An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- An ability to write the present substantial technical report/documents.
- Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program.
Program Specific Outcomes
- An ability to use modern engineering tools, software and equipment to critically analyze, design, perform experiments and interpret investigations to solve real time civil and structural engineering problems.
- An ability to independently carry out research and able to pursue higher education in Structural Engineering domain.
- Work and communicate efficiently as an individual or part of, within multi-disciplinary domain in executing and managing Civil Engineering projects.
Program Educational Objectives
- To impart and develop knowledge with conceptual and analytical skills to analyze, design and build sustainable infrastructures to cater the needs of society.
- To promote research activities and undertake research projects to work on the problem statements concerned to the sustainable growth of construction industry and society.
- Practice their profession with leadership, ethics and social responsibility to formulate solutions that are technically sound, economically viable, and socially acceptable.
|Subject code||Branch code||Subject Name||Category||Semester||L||T||P||Credit||E||M||I||V||Total Marks|
|3710001||20||Research Methodology and IPR||MLC||1||1||0||2||2||0||0||20||80||100|
|3712011||20||Advanced Structural Analysis||Core -I||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712012||20||Advanced Concrete Design||Core -II||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712013||20||Analytical and Numerical methods for|
|Program Elective -I||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712014||20||Theory and applications of cement|
|Program Elective -I||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712015||20||Theory of structural stability||Program Elective -I||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712016||20||Theory of Thin plates & shells||Program Elective -II||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712017||20||Advanced Solid Mechanics||Program Elective -II||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3712018||20||Structural Optimization||Program Elective -II||1||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3700001||20||English for Research Paper Writing||Audit Course||2||2||0||0||0||50||0||0||0||50|
|3722023||20||Structural Design Project||Core||2||0||0||4||2||0||0||100||0||100|
|3722007||20||Advanced Steel Design||Core III||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722016||20||Structural Dynamics||Core IV||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722017||20||Design of Formwork||Program Elective III||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722018||20||Design of High rise structures||Program Elective III||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722019||20||Design of Masonry structures||Program Elective III||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722020||20||Structural Health Monitoring &|
Retrofitting of Structures
|Program Elective IV||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722021||20||Design of Bridge Structures||Program Elective IV||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3722022||20||Soil structure interaction||Program Elective IV||2||3||0||2||4||70||30||20||30||150|
|3732006||20||Design of Prestressed Concrete Structures||Program Elective V||3||3||0||0||3||70||30||0||0||100|
|3732007||20||Earthquake Resistant Design of structures||Program Elective V||3||3||0||0||3||70||30||0||0||100|
|3732008||20||Advanced Design of foundations systems||Program Elective V||3||3||0||0||3||70||30||0||0||100|
|3730006||20||Industrial Safety||Open Elective I||3||3||0||0||3||70||30||0||0||100|
|3730007||20||Operation Research||Open Elective I||3||3||0||0||3||70||30||0||0||100|
|3730002||20||Internal Review-I||Internal Review||3||0||0||4||2||0||0||100||0||100|
|3740001||20||Internal Review-II||Internal Review||4||0||0||4||2||0||0||100||0||100|
- Well Configured Computer Laboratory with state-of-art analysis and design software
- Available Software are from Bentley Systems and Autodesk
- Software available such as STADD Pro, Advanced STADD, 3D Structural Analysis, PLAXIS, WaterCAD, StormCAD, MX Roads and etc.
- Remote access of software
Tokyo is the capital of Japan.