Biotechnology Engineering is one of the youngest disciplines in engineering and has made tremendous progress in the last 4 decades. This has been aided by rapid advancements in Bioinformatics, Information Technology, and Biotechnology. In the field of Biotechnology Engineering, researchers with expertise in diverse areas work towards the unified goal of creating products and techniques for betterment of society to solve real life problems.
Further, the students admitted to the program have backgrounds in Engineering, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Medicine, making it a unique program. The creation of a heterogeneous class composition promotes interaction between students and faculty of different backgrounds and provides opportunities for research in exciting interdisciplinary areas.
Career Opportunities in the Program
The scope of Biotechnology is quite vast and finds technical applications. The candidates may avail opportunities in sectors that cater to the planning, production, and management of industries that involve bio-processing. The scope of biotechnology in India is quite wide, especially as it provides large-scale employment in research laboratories run by the government as well as the corporate sector. M. Tech. in Biotechnology offers applied knowledge in the field of modern medical practice. The study of living organisms and bioprocesses in engineering, medicine, and technology are required for the benefit of developing immensely effective bio-products. Hence, it serves a social purpose along with the financial security that comes with a professional degree.
- The Vision is to become a national leader in preparing students for careers in biotechnology, with a focus on engineering and technologies required for developing sustainable competitive edge to present society.
- Biotechnology is a frontline area of science with immense potential for the benefit of the human kind. It has a mission to empower next gen professionals with skills for global competitiveness by imbibing research based aptitude, technological advancement, intellect and ethical values.
- An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- An ability to write the present substantial technical report/documents.
- Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program.
Program Specific Outcomes
- Acquire students with skills in Biotechnology and provide solutions through industry-academia interface.
- Empower the students to be effective entrepreneurs and excellent researchers to invent unique products for societal need with proper ethical statutes.
- Ability to independently carry out research and development work to solve practical problems in the domain of biotechnology.
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic sciences (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology and Chemical Engineering Sciences) and applied for engineering courses in getting solutions to issues pertaining Biotechnology, Biochemical, Biopharmaceutical and allied industries.
- Ability to acquaint with the latest development in different fields of biotechnology to enable them to take up higher studies, research & developmental work.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will be engineering practitioners and leaders, who would help solve the industry’s technological problems.
- Graduates will be engineering professionals, innovators or entrepreneurs engaged in technology development, technology deployment, or engineering system implementation in industry.
- Graduates will function in their profession with social awareness and responsibility.
- Graduates will interact with their peers in other disciplines in industry and society and contribute to the economic growth of the country.
- Graduates will be successful in pursuing higher studies in engineering or management.
- Graduates will pursue career paths in teaching or research.
Sophisticated Instrument Laboratory
This laboratory caters to research work on Genomics, DNA fingerprinting, Gene expression analysis, Cloning, infectious disease diagnosis etc. The laboratory infrastructure includes the latest PCR, Real Time PCR, Gel documentation system, -200C deep freezer, fully computerized double beam UV-Visible Spectrophotometer, Cooling centrifuge and miscellaneous equipment.
Microbial Technology Laboratory
A spacious laboratory, equipped with high end Microscopes, Incubator shaker, Laminar air flow, Cooling Centrifuge, Weighing balance etc. The laboratory will also going to procure fully computerized lab scale Fermentor and an advanced Layophilizer system which is being used to carry out research in the field of metabolite production from microbial biomass and many more.
Animal Cell Tissue culture Laboratory
This is an advanced laboratory constructed on the latest design that serves all the necessary aspects of modern tissue culture work. The lab is equipped with the latest Biosafety Cabinet, Co2 Incubator, Cell counter, MicroPulser Electroporator, Cooling Centrifuge, Inverted Microscope, ELISA plate reader, Research autoclave etc.
Central Instrument Laboratory
This laboratory is constructed to do basic research in the field of Biotechnology. The lab is equipped with MilliQ water purification system, Ovens, -800C Deepfreeze, Water baths, Ice flaking machine, Chiller, BoD incubators etc.
ESE (E) = University Theory Exam (External)
ESE (V) = University Practical Exam (Viva)
PA (M) = Progression Assessment (Mid Semester Exam)
PA (I) = Progression Assessment (Internal Continuous Evaluation -Practical/Term Work)
|Subject Category||Subject Name||Semester||Theory Hours||Practical Hours||Credit||ESE (E) Marks||ESE (V) Marks||PA (M) Marks||PA (I) Marks||Total Marks|
|Program Core Course-I||Fundamentals of Biotechnology||1||3||4||5||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Core Course-II||Bioprocess Engineering and Technology||1||3||4||5||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-I||Remedial Biology||1||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-I||Remedial Mathematics||1||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-II||Food Processing and Biotechnology||1||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-II||Environmental Biotechnology||1||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-II||Pharmaceutical Biotechnology||1||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|MLC||Research Methodology and IPR||1||1||2||2||0||80||0||20||100|
|Audit Course-I (Non Credit)||Value Education||1||2||0||0||50||0||0||0||50|
|Program Core Course-III||Bioinformatics||2||3||4||5||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Core Course-IV||Advanced Genetic Engineering||2||3||4||5||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-III||Tissue Culture Techniques||2||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-III||Animal Biotechnology||2||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-III||Plant Biotechnology||2||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-IV||Industrial Biotechnological Products||2||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-IV||Diagnostic Techniques in Biotechnology||2||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-IV||Immunology & Vaccine Technology||2||3||0||3||70||30||30||20||150|
|Mini Project||Mini Project with Seminar||2||0||4||2||0||0||0||100||100|
|Audit Course-II (Non Credit)||English for Research Paper Writing||2||2||0||2||50||0||0||0||50|
|Program Elective Course-V||Unix Operating System and Programming Language C++||3||3||2||4||70||30||30||20||150|
|Program Elective Course-V||Computer-Aided Learning of Structure and Function of Proteins||3||3||2||4||70||30||30||20||150|
|Open elective-I||Business Analytics||3||3||2||4||70||30||30||20||150|
|Open elective-II||Industrial Safety||3||3||2||4||70||30||30||20||150|
|Open elective-III||Operations Research||3||3||2||4||70||30||30||20||150|
|Internal Review-I||Internal Review-I||3||0||4||2||0||0||0||100||100|
|Dissertation Phase-I||Dissertation Phase-I||3||0||16||8||0||100||0||0||100|
|Internal Review-II||Internal Review-II||4||0||4||2||0||0||0||100||100|
|Dissertation Phase-II||Dissertation Phase-II||4||0||28||14||0||100||0||0||100|
Tokyo is the capital of Japan.